BABCP | British Association for Behavioural & Cognitive Psychotherapies > Accreditation > About Accreditation FAQs > Can I be accredited if I live or work abroad?

Can I be accredited if I live or work abroad?

To apply for or maintain accreditation, you must be both living and practising CBT in the UK, its territories or Ireland. We may ask for evidence that you live at the address on our records – such as a utility bill.

So you can't be accredited whilst overseas - even if you are working remotely with clients in this country. 

If you move abroad after you have been accredited, please let us know on  If your stay out of this country is temporary, you can remain accredited for up to two years - for this you may need to request an extension or Leave of Absence

If you are away for longer than that, you would need to lapse your accreditation and you can apply for Return to Practice if you return.  

What if I trained abroad?  This page will help if you have moved to the UK since you completed your CBT training and would like to become accredited.


0330 320 0851
Registered office
Minerva House, Hornby Street, Bury, Lancashire  BL9 5BN
Privacy Notice
Privacy Policy
0330 320 0851
Registered charity No. 1098704   A company limited by guarantee No. 4839948   Registered in England and Wales   VAT reg No. 732 5316 53