Professional Indemnity Insurance

Professional Indemnity Insurance

As a practising therapist, you must be covered by adequate insurance when you’re providing services directly or indirectly to the public. This is to ensure that you and your clients have appropriate protection.

We now ask all accredited members make a declaration that they have adequate, current, and ongoing professional indemnity insurance for their practice. You must make sure that your cover meets your needs.

Professional Indemnity insurance specifically for psychotherapy is offered by a number of companies. Balens Insurance Brokers offers special rates to BABCP members. You can find out more here.

If you work in the NHS, you will already have an indemnity arrangement which covers your work, such as duty of care or clinical negligence claims. You should confirm that you are covered for all relevant risks in your area of practice.

If you’re employed in private health care, it is likely that you will have an appropriate indemnity arrangement, and you should confirm this covers you for relevant risks.

If you are self-employed, and/or work as a consultant or through an agency you will probably be required to have your own indemnity arrangements in place.

If you do a combination of employed and self-employed work, or work for more than one employer, you must have an appropriate indemnity arrangement in place for each area of your practice. An employer’s arrangement will only cover your work in that job.

0330 320 0851
Registered office
Minerva House, Hornby Street, Bury, Lancashire  BL9 5BN
Privacy Notice
Privacy Policy
0330 320 0851
Registered charity No. 1098704   A company limited by guarantee No. 4839948   Registered in England and Wales   VAT reg No. 732 5316 53