BABCP offers accreditation for Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapists, Supervisors and Trainers. Accreditation is of UK practice and can be applied for by therapists who are currently living and working in the UK, its territories and Ireland.
BABCP also accredits CBT training courses at two levels.
If you have not yet undertaken post-graduate training in CBT – please go to Training and Careers in CBT for guidance on the background and training you need.
Stages of Accreditation
There are two stages of BABCP accreditation – Provisional and Full.
You are a recognised accredited practitioner with Provisional Accreditation; the provisional year is simply a period at the end of which you demonstrate (through a Full Accreditation Application) that you have maintained good habits in term of practice, supervision and CPD.
To apply for provisional accreditation, you need to:
- be a member of the BABCP - BABCP Membership
- either have a Core Profession in mental health or demonstrate you have other mental health training and/or experience by completing a KSA portfolio
- have completed 12 months of practice within your core profession or equivalent (or a subsequent mental health profession) which was accountable to a senior member of that profession
- have met the Minimum Training Standards (MTS) through post-graduate level, assessed training courses taught by recognised CBT trainers. This many have been through any of the following routes:
- Level 2 BABCP Accredited Course – these meet all the MTS
- Level 1 Accredited course + possible additional requirements to meet MTS
- A Non-accredited course: this may be a post-graduate diploma in CBT or other courses such as an applied psychology doctorate with a substantial CBT component, a CBT training course completed in another country, a combination of substantial CBT training courses. It is possible that additional requirements will also need to be completed.
Please see the following links for further information on this:
BABCP Accredited Courses
Level 2 Provisional Accreditation (for graduates of Level 2 BABCP Accredited courses)
Provisional Accreditation (for graduates of Level 1 and non-Accredited courses)